Sunday, April 26, 2015

Blog 4/27

Can one person change the world? I believe that one person can make an impact that affects major changes in the world. That person may not live to see those changes but because of their hard work, dedication and determination, the world will begin to follow. Some good examples of people who impacted started in their community and impacted world changes are Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Thurgood Marshall, Nelson Mandela, Susan B. Anthony, Eleanor Roosevelt, Mother Teresa, and Rosa Parks.
I believe that by helping throughout my community, such as tutoring and showing kids you actually care about them and interested in their education and encourage them will motivate them to want to do better in school. If even one of those kids can be impacted by someone caring about them then maybe one day they would want to make their community better and encourage other children.
Some of the things I have contributed to help better my community are participating in mission trips with my church. In 2011 I went to Louisiana with my church group and had the chance to volunteer at a food pantry, in 2012 I was able to visit the homeless and also help build a house for a woman that had lost her home in the hurricane. During my 9th and 10th grade years of high school I participated in Operation care in Dallas where we got to cater to the homeless feeding them, washing their feet and providing them with clothes and shoes. The past 3 years I volunteered on service Saturday with my church to provide food baskets to those in need in my community. This last year I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity. I helped build a house for a young family with a child who I got to meet and bond with while framing walls, hammering, putting up siding and eventually painting the finished product. All four years of my high school career I volunteered as a mentor at Rockbrook elementary. During the school year once a month we tutor the kids who are having trouble in math or reading, we also get to bond with them and talk about their interest.

By serving others you can show people that helping others can really make an impact in their lives and help motivate them to do better in their own environment and maybe use their time to help others as well. My dream is to make an impact in my neighborhood, community, city, state, country and maybe one day the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment